Book your practical driving test for:
- lorries, buses and coaches
- approved driving instructor (ADI) part 2 and 3 tests
This service is available from 6am to 11:40pm.
This page is also available in Welsh (Cymraeg).
Start now on the driving test booking service
Before you start
You need your:
- UK driving licence number
- credit or debit card
- driving instructor’s personal reference number if you want to check they’re available
There’s a different service to change your driving test appointment after you’ve booked it. You can keep checking for earlier appointments (sometimes called ‘cancellation appointments’).
Book a test to upgrade your licence
You must call the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) if you need an ‘upgrade’ test, eg automatic to manual car, or medium-sized lorry to a large lorry.
DVSA driving test booking support
Telephone: 0300 200 1122
Monday to Friday, 8am to midday
Find out about call charges
When you don’t need a theory test
You must usually have passed your theory test before booking.
You don’t need a theory test to book a:
- taxi test
- tractor test
- test to upgrade from automatic to manual
- test to progress through the motorcycle categories (progressive access)
- car and trailer test
- lorry and trailer test
- bus and trailer test
- large lorry test, when you’ve got a medium lorry licence
- large bus test, when you’ve got a medium bus licence
Help with your booking
Contact DVSA to get help booking your test.
There’s a different service to book your driving test in Northern Ireland.